Sierra Chicago Group is always looking for volunteers to help with our many activities, including conservation issue campaigns, political endorsements, social events, outings and day-to-day operations like webmastering and membership management.
Sierra Chicago Group is managed by volunteers who comprise the Chicago Group Executive Committee (ExCom). Conservation teams and other committees handle the day-to-day operations of Chicago Group's conservation, political, social and administration activities.
In particular, open vacancies at the ExCom level include the following activities
- Database Management to keep our list of members up-to-date and ready to receive important communications electronically.
- Events Coordinator/Committee, the team that manages the behind-the-scenes work needed to offer high-quality experiences at tabling events such as Green Festival and major educational programs.
- Fundraising for fun and to help fund local conservation activities.
- Lands Habitat & Wildlife Team, a new conservation advocacy team in formation that needs passionate people to work on terrestrial issues affecting both people and wildlife with a focus on the urbam environment.
- Lobby Team members are needed to influence local, state and federal elected officials and regulators on important environmental issues.
- Membership Services, including a Volunteer Coordinator, a new position we'd like help developing and filling.
- Outings Leader, full training is offered and required.
- Social Events Committee, the more fun, the better work we do.
- Webmaster, a volunteer is needed to coordinate content and some updates of our about-to-be launched new Drupal-based website.
Get more information about these vacancies from Christine Williamson, Sierra Chicago Group's chair, at 773/415-5217 (evenings) or email@example.com
General volunteering information
If you're not sure what you want to do, contact Christine Williamson, Sierra Chicago Group's chair, for the basics on our 7,500-strong member group and to find out what activities might suit your interests and skills. Tag Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org
Air & Energy Team
Sierra Chicago Group's Air and Energy team is very active and everyone still is celebrating the successful campaign to shut down Chicago's coal-fired power plants. Plenty of new activities are on the horizon that your talents might be perfect for.
Clean Water Committee
With Lake Michigan and the many rivers in its watershed in Chicago Group's territory, the Clean Water Committee is working hard on water conservation, habitat protection, pollution and invasive species control. The April and September Montrose Beach Sweeps are a fun way for you and your friends and family to make a direct difference in the cleanliness of Lake Michigan waters.
Sierra Club is one of the few national environmental groups that makes election endorsements and lobbies elected officials about important environmental issues. Sierra Chicago Group is working on lots of interesting state and national races and help is always needed.
Sierra Social Group
Sierrans like to meet, greet, eat and party whenever possible. From dinners, to educational programs to bar fundraisers, Sierra Social Group is bringing members together.
To volunteer for social event planning or to subscribe to the social e-mail list, please contact Tony Fuller email@example.com
Sierra Club has been offering outings into urban and wilderness areas since its founding in 1892. Chicago Group's outings program isn't quote that old, but our group has been bringing people and nature together for decades.
Every outings volunteer receives extensive training before being approved to lead hiking, biking, backpacking, canoeing and cross-country ski trips and many other outdoor activities. More leaders are always welcome. Contact the Outings Committee Chair, Mark Ginger, for more information firstname.lastname@example.org